Tonight History Channel The Death of Gen Patton

TCUNC76

27 Oct 2011, 03:29 #1

Brad Meltzers Decoded !
     Saw the show at 10...........a look into the death of Gen George S Patton.....repeats later on tonight....had some good new elements I had not read or heard before.They visit the crash site and reconsturct the accident and visit the hospital in Germany where Gen Patton passed away..... well worth a viewing...Helen Patton is interviewed in Germany on the program. Historian Charles Provience ...who has written much on the life of Gen Patton ,talks about how at the scene of the wreck Patton comminicated to the MP's ....just to get him to the hospital and not charged the GI driving the truck.......... take a look and see what you think......simple accident & medical condition that caused his death of murder conspiracy??????????????????   Were those lame Russians involved ?
  Hey at least its about something from WW II on tv........not about pawns shops or driving trucks on ice covered roads.....not that both programs are bad...they are very good...but it seems the channel does not show much on WW II as they use to......................  and so it goes !!!!!! ( seems like someone famous said this )

TC

http://www.history.com/shows/brad-meltzers-decoded

peterhendrikx

27 Oct 2011, 10:50 #2

Hey TC.
Sounds like must see tv for me. It sounds like a new documentary and not a reprogramming of an older one. Do you know where I can order a copy of this ?
You might like to read about my research on General Patton's death. I put it on my website www.heroesatmargraten.com  I am currently working with Col.Thomas W. Frank, MD, who is also doing research on the medical aspects of Patton's death. I hope to one day publish the definite account of what happened, which is less spectacular than the previous publications.
Of course I haven't seen this documentary yet, so I am curious to know what they conclude.
Best,
Peter Hendrikx
www.heroesatmargraten.com

TCUNC76

27 Oct 2011, 16:53 #3

Peter...Hey I thought about you last night as soon as I saw this...................... I think I have your mailing address around here somewhere....send it again to me at .

I thought it had some good elements to it.......................... I just feel after all I have seen and read..it was a complication of his condition as he had fractured his neck before in the same place ...................... had a blood clotting condition all his life................... his death was most quick from what the Army doctor said and he had access in the show to Pattons medical records and his records while in the US Army Hospital .... I know you worked on this with the author of the book...more that happy to help you out here. Hope you and family are doing well. Man I had such a great time in The Netherlands .........the place really agrees with me TC....

cheese addict here................... Oh my..good eating !!!! Take care

TC

[email protected]

Scorpio58

27 Oct 2011, 20:58 #4

I saw part of this last night, unfortunately my narcolepsy prevented me from watching it all the way through. I did however, see most (?) of the Helen Patton interview (interesting that she still goes by "Patton" ) but I found her reference to a "spy" that told her about the hospital / poison conspiracy with the Russians etc. My thinking on all of this is that post war Germany was a very different place than I think many of us have been led to understand here in the U.S. I remember reading something that there were over 125 acts of terrorism, bombings and assassinations from June of '45 through to sometime into '46 and that Allied responses had entailed the shelling of one town or village during that time becasue it was a "hotbed" of terrorist activity. The Allies had "hunter-killer" teams out looking for the worst of the worst and I'm sure that the Russians separate from the "Allied Teams" were roving the countryside looking for "persons of interest". Treachery and violence were even more rampant behind the scenes I think than before the surrender...........as if that were even possible! I'd like see the show again and anything else that you all here on the forums may have to add. Thanks for the postings...............the mystery continues! Johnny F.

Cimarron 44

28 Oct 2011, 00:04 #5

I DVR's the show and watched it tonight. I had read the book -Target Patton - on which the conspiracy theories were based a few years ago. I found I was unable to take the show seriously and much of that had to do with the host, Brad Meltzer, himself as well as the awful cast of characters who were the sleuths. I found myself getting quite irritated and the only guy that made any sense at all was the historian at the end. I also didn't hear Helen Patton say anything about a "death bed confession" by the supposed spy who approached her in Normandy. She said he was an old guy and one of the cast then added that it was a death bed confession. I'm going back to the grassy knoll in Dallas for awhile!
Paul Clifford

TCUNC76

28 Oct 2011, 02:09 #6

One of the sad stories from all this is........ the terrible effect it had on the life after this situation..on the UA ARMY SGT who was driving the truck that hit Pattons car..it haunted him for the rest of his life ...according to his wife as told by Charles Province..... TC had the pleasure of meeting Ms Patton in Normandy last summer with Paul Woodadge & Terry Poyser ,Donnie Edwards ..........we visited the small Patton Museum there...in a place near Pattons Orchard.......... there is a nice well written story with photos on the Patton wreck in an issue of AFTER THE BATTLE................

I remember in the 70's after the movie Patton came out...reading a story with GI Patton slapped...wish I had saved that article.

TC