Sgt Baily Harrison D-502 PIR

Best1944

22 Mar 2012, 20:56 #1

Got this message via the guestbook on my website. Maybe someone out here is able to help:

Does anybody know any living members of the 502 PIR 2nd battalion D company? My great uncle Sgt Baily Harrison won the DSC on June 6th,1944, KIA Sept 26 1944. Would like to more about him and his deeds.

Bill

This is his DSC citation:

Distinguished Service Cross
Awarded for actions during the World War II
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Sergeant Bailey Harrison (ASN: 37106743), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with Company D, 2d Battalion, 502d Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, in action against enemy forces on 6 June 1944, in France. While leading his squad, Sergeant Harrison was wounded. However, he refused to be evacuated and continued to lead his squad across one hundred and fifty yards of open country in the face of extremely heavy enemy fire. Despite his painful wounds, he continued to fire as he moved forward and dislodged the enemy from a prepared position, inflicting heavy casualties and successfully leading his squad to a point from which their fire forced the enemy to withdraw. The valor, courage and aggressiveness displayed by Sergeant Harrison reflects great credit on himself and is in keeping with the highest traditions of the Armed Forces.

General Orders: Headquarters, First U.S. Army, General Orders No. 31 (July 1, 1944)
Action Date: 6-Jun-44
Service: Army
Company: Company D
Battalion: 2d Battalion
Regiment: 502d Parachute Infantry Regiment
Division: 101st Airborne Division

Thanks in advance,
Tom P.

KlondikeFox

23 Mar 2012, 02:59 #2

You say you're related to the man and you
can't even spell his first name correctly???

Best1944

23 Mar 2012, 14:48 #3

Good call Mark. I emailed this man with further questions but uptil now no response...

KlondikeFox

23 Mar 2012, 23:24 #4

Question: Is the alleged nephew really a relative or just a collector, fishing for more info,
to enhance the dollar value of a collectible with Harrison's name on it? In any case, he
can't spell, he mis-spelled Bailey not once but twice in his request, indicating it was not
caused by a typo, but a genuine belief that 'Baily' is the correct spelling.What's up with that?
Emmert O. Parmley of F/502 told me that after the Deuce returned to England in Summer 44,
Bailey Harrison became a 'celebrity' in the entire 2nd Bn, because he had won the DSC in
France.  Another trooper told me that Harrison bore a strong physical resemblance to the
actor Charlton Heston.  Harrison was KIA about a week after the Holland jump, somewhere
in the 'Corridor'.  The only close-up photo I've seen of him was published in the 502's regimental
newspaper 'The Screamer', in one of the early issues, in 1945.
Harrison's DSC was for actions against Georgian mounted troops in Turqueville on D-day.
Two other (Dog Co.) 502 troopers were awarded Silver Star Medals for actions in the same town,
against the same Georgian unit, on the same day. Both of those guys were also later KIA, one
(Gifford) in Holland and the other (Sanderson) at Bastogne.
These guys did so much and ended-up giving their all, but because they were not in the most-
studied and celebrated company, their names and deeds will probably always remain unknown
to the masses.
Last edited by KlondikeFox on 23 Mar 2012, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

Lowpull

27 May 2012, 18:29 #5

So sorry for misspelling my great uncles first name. I dont have any personal items of Bailey Harrison. He died in Sept 44 in Holland. My grandmother Avis Harrison only said of him is that he died during the war. I didnt even know about his award until my cousin was going through her fathers war diary ( Cody Harrison a rear gunner on a torpedo plane ) and she mentioned his citation. Another brother of Bailey was Bill Harrison. If I remember correctly he carried a BAR. But the only time he every mentioned it, he said he was on Guam at one time. Then another brother of Bailey was C.C. Harrison who lied about his age to get into the Navy. None of the Brothers or Sisters of Bailey Harrison are still alive. C.C was the last and he died several years ago. Me, I am just trying to find out more information to share with the relatives that are still alive.

KlondikeFox

27 May 2012, 18:47 #6

I've posted all I know on this subject, so maybe someone else who frequents here will know more
details?  MB the webmaster

Lowpull

28 May 2012, 02:18 #7

I saw on another older thread where somebody was trying to sell a memorabilia collection of Bailey Harrison back in 2010. As far as I know there is no such memorabilia to sell. But if anybody is interested in what he looked like I will scan his "official"? airborne photograph and post it. My grandmother had a wall in her house where she had all of the families service pictures on the wall. My dad inherited the house and I will be back there for the 4th of July and can scan it then. Im just glad that there are people out there that still care about these soldiers.

KlondikeFox

28 May 2012, 12:10 #8

An unscrupulous militaria dealer in the NY area put together a fraudulent
grouping recently, which I saw under a dealer's table, at the MAX collectors
show, near Pittsburgh, last year. It included a generic cased DSC, an Ike jacket
and some small generic Airborne photos, none of which actually showed Bailey
Harrison.  The guy who owned the stuff had bought it from the hump job
artist who contrived and created the alleged 'grouping', but like so many fakers,
they had some knowledge, but not enough.  First, S/Sgt Harrison was KIA
in September, 1944, seven months before Ike jackets were issued to 101st troops.
If I recall, the Ike also had a post war eagle patch on the shoulder.
The faker evidently pulled Harrison's name out of a book, but they failed to realize
he was killed in action. I guess if you're a hump job artist, any DSC winner's name will
do
...but sometimes they should do a little homework about the actual subject of their
Frankenstein creation.
There were other glaring discrepancies and omissions in what
was in this 'grouping', which details I cannot now recall.  Anyhow, it was a mediocre
fraud, but it had succeeded in duping the guy who showed it to me and I don't know what
he ended-up doing about it, after I presented him with the evidence.  I followed-up with
some emails to him, after we had returned home from that show.
I think I posted a thread on the TT forum about this, at the time.

asjoseph

27 Feb 2014, 12:13 #9

There were 4 Harrison brothers. C.C., Cody, both in the Navy, Bill, (my grandfather), and Bailey.

Lowpull

04 Jul 2015, 20:43 #10

I've got the picture on my phone just can't figure how to post it.