George K. at Isle-La-Hesse (outside Bastogne)

Sedanrod

26 Sep 2013, 00:24 #1

George Koskimaki had several interviews during his trip to Holland and Bastogne. This one was from Luxembourg TV and was filmed at Isle-La-Hesse where the Baron and Baroness Greindl lived. George spent Christmas 1944 there and has many fond memories of that time. It was the first time that he was able to see two of the children that were there in the basement with him since the war. Attached is the TV report as filed last week.
The family was kind enough to overlook our delayed appearance there on this trip due to flight cancelations and hosted a tour of the manor and a fine dinner. They were thrilled to have George as their guest and he was thrilled to be there.

The Baron was executed by the Germans for his cooperation with the Resistance and Renee Greindl was left with 12 children to care for. She was a remarkable woman and George held her in high esteem. She wrote a small book in the 1960's called Christmas at Isle-La-Hesse that was self published. It is an interesting report on her life through those very difficult times. The family gave us copies as a reminder of our visit. It is a small book that I will cherish.

http://www.tvlux.be/video/bastogne-visi ... 14286.html

KlondikeFox

26 Sep 2013, 02:50 #2

The civilians who live in the areas which were fought over are always so graciousto returning veterans and they obviously do love their liberators. I'm happy for George
to have been able to reunite with some Belgian civilians who he actually knew as children,
back in Dec. 1944.

holeshotrob

26 Sep 2013, 10:26 #3

I couldn't understand much of the piece, but it was neat seeing Mr. K again even if on tv!
Dan, please give him my best and tell him that I hope to see him in the near future if we can all find a place to meet up! Hopefully he will come to TT9!

JUNE 6TH 1944

26 Sep 2013, 19:59 #4

Hi Dan, Thanks for posting this great story along with the video link also Very Nice
Indeed and Thanks for sharing it with us very interesting Story for sure..T.C

GARY BUDEK

01 Aug 2015, 03:42 #5

I  WAS WONDERING HOW GEORGE KOSKIMKA IS DOING I WAS TRYING TO SEE IF HE MIGHT HAVE KNOWN MY UNCLE AL ADAMCZYK FROM WYANDOTTE,MI. HE WAS IN 101ST  1/501ST A COMPANY WITH CAPT. BILL PATY AND ALSO CAPTUED NOT SURE IF IT WAS AT THE SAME TIME BECAUSE IT WAS NOT REPORTED TILL 08/02/1944 FROM STALAG 4B MUHLBERG SACHEN 51 13  TILL 06/07 1945  AND DIED IN FEB 1980 AT THE VA HOSPITAL IN ALLEN PARK MICHIGAN. THANKS AGAIN