326th Airborne Medical Company Photographs and Veteran Testimonies

gliderridermedic

15 Dec 2010, 20:04 #1

I am a veteran (GWOT, serving with the US Air Force as a medical provider) who is working on a book on the 326th and I am searching for photos, film footage and veteran testimonies of those who served with the unit during WWII.  I have obtained pretty much everything the Army Medical Department has on the subject and I have been in contact with a couple of the surviving members of the unit (one in Nevada and one in New York) and have sent letters to several other persons I believe to have served with the unit.  Sadly, I found that I missed a couple of the veterans by a matter of a few months although one of the gentlemen's son was unaware of what his father's unit had done during the war so I have been helping to show him the important role the 326th played in the liberation of Europe.  It's nice to be able to give something back to a family and to allow this son to be able to feel closer to the parent he so recently lost.
That said, I am in hopes that perhaps the members of this forum might have photographs, unit records or veteran testimonies that would be helpful in my research.  If anyone knows of any additional surviving members of the unit, I would appreciate your assistance in getting in touch with them so that I can make sure their experiences are recorded for posterity.   Likewise, if anyone knows of the families of veterans who are no longer with us but might be willing to talk to a historian I would like to get in touch with them.  If anyone knows of any documents, items or photographs that have been donated to museums, historical societies, libraries, I would also appreciate being made aware of them.
I will give full credit for the assistance in any use of the information or images.  Even if the book project does not get to the point of publication, it would still be helpful in the living history community as we run a 326th reenacting unit here in the Midwest and the material would be useful in educating the public.  
Thank you for your time and assistance.
Steve

currahee506

15 Dec 2010, 21:41 #2

I beieve a great deal of information regarding the 326th is housed at the Carlisle War College.  This information came from a local 326th Vet here in NE Ohio (deceased) who handled the 326th affairs (reunions, newsletters, ect) for numerous years.  I would like to see that info. eventually as it will shed light on the activities of several 326th Vets who hailed from NE Ohio.  I also believe Michel DeTrez has a plethora of information on the 326th, as of course, so does Mr. Bando.
Rich
The point I was trying to make is that you have to be prepared to give to the people you lead. You must give in every way. You must give of your time, and you must be consistent in your treatment of them. You must never take from people you lead. Later, at Brécourt Manor, Compton did a fantastic job leading his men.

currahee506

16 Dec 2010, 23:37 #3

I might also add that if you read George Koskimaki's 3 books, you could not ask for more voluminous information and detailed first-hand accounts on the 326th.
Rich
The point I was trying to make is that you have to be prepared to give to the people you lead. You must give in every way. You must give of your time, and you must be consistent in your treatment of them. You must never take from people you lead. Later, at Brécourt Manor, Compton did a fantastic job leading his men.

KenMcAuliffe

17 Dec 2010, 00:34 #4

There is a web page for U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History:
http://history.amedd.army.mil/books.html
Look under The Second World War, European Theater of Operations.
Check Battle of the Bulge, Operation OVERLORD and Operation MARKET-GARDEN.
Also 3d Auxiliary Surgical Group ...,  101st Airborne Division Annual Report ..., 326th Airborne Medical Company ...  and Interview with Albert J. Crandall ... .  
Ken McAuliffe

gliderridermedic

17 Dec 2010, 20:09 #5

Thanks everyone.  I've looked over those reference links and I have Mr. Koskimaki's books (well, except Hell's Highway, which my ex-wife took my copy of in the divorce...need to get a new one.  The book, not a new ex-wife.).
I will talk to Mr. Bando and Mr. DeTrez once I get a chance.  I have a lot on my plate between work, holidays, this project, etc.  Thanks again for all of your help.

currahee506

17 Dec 2010, 23:16 #6

Your ex-wife took your copy of Hell's Highway??? What a .......    Image
Good Luck.
Rich

Bob Carter

17 Dec 2010, 23:22 #7

Rich, she was probably thinking it was a divorce handbook.

gliderridermedic

21 Dec 2010, 23:16 #8

Image  Yeah, she took my copy.  It's one of the few things I am still sore about.

KlondikeFox

22 Dec 2010, 01:45 #9

HAVE YOU CONTACTED SAM TALERICO AND ROBERT
CORCORAN
OF C COMPANY?
I THINK BOTH ARE STILL ALIVE.
If interested in Normandy, contact Harry Mash in Ohio-he was a jumper
in C Co and was misdropped near Montebourg and captured on D-day.
He spent an interesting time in captivity.

gliderridermedic

22 Dec 2010, 09:57 #10

HAVE YOU CONTACTED SAM TALERICO AND ROBERT
CORCORAN
OF C COMPANY?
I THINK BOTH ARE STILL ALIVE.
If interested in Normandy, contact Harry Mash in Ohio-he was a jumper
in C Co and was misdropped near Montebourg and captured on D-day.
He spent an interesting time in captivity.
I sent Mr. Mash a letter a few weeks back but have heard nothing from him.  As far as Mr. Talerico and Mr. Corcoran, I don't have any contact information on either of them. 
The other folks that I have been told are possibly still alive are but do not have any further leads regarding:
-Sam Amico
-Henry Hauser
-Herbert Reid (last known to be in Kansas City....haven't been able to track him down beyond that)
-Lt. Gordon Block
-George Whitfield
-John Woodrich
Interestingly enough, I have had quite a bit of luck tracking down family members of those who are already gone and this has been quite rewarding for both the families and myself.  One family I encountered was not even aware that the veteran in question had been captured at Bastogne ("Dad never talked about the war.  We knew he served with the 101st as a medic but had no clue beyond that.  He never said much about it, just shrugged it off when asked").  I have been helping them try to learn more about his service and that has made me feel really great about this project and in general.  My timing was a little worrisome at first (my letter arrived three weeks after the vet passed away) and I apologized if it caused any further pain but it seems that the children of this man are really appreciative that someone can tell them about their dad's service.