1LT Jerome C Knight KIA Bastogne December 20th 1944

Haltstalle

28 Feb 2017, 19:26 #1

Hello All,

I am a new member here and my great uncle was 1LT Jerome C Knight Item Company, 2nd platoon Leader, 3/5o6th PIR. On Dec 20th 1944 he was at the 3/506th CP as an FO. On his left flank was 1LT Ed Shames facing the Jack woods. The weather was 20 below 0 and a fog was to his 12. He was watching the ridge line for an expected attack from the 2nd Panzer Lehr and the 26th VG. A lone Panzer appreared out of the fog coming down the RR trak towards the Detaiile Farm or also known as the Haltstalle. It fired one round into the farm killing my great uncles and the 1SG. A jeep from the 326th Medical companytook them to Bastogne and my uncle is buried in luxembourg.

My Uncle is mentioned twice in Ian Gardners book no victory in wallhalla and in ed shames book as he was the one with two other troopers who took out that panzer with 3 rounds. I have talked with Ian Gardner and Col Shames in VA.

My question is this....there are laws about giving back the personnel artifacts of soldiers who died there. It seems that items like dog tags, wedding bands, class rings are being sold all over the place. The dutch, belgians, germans, americans and english all take part in these ghoulish things. The law is the law and it is rercognized by Belgium as against the law to keep personnel artifacts from dead soldiers at Bastogne. Private land does not make a difference. I dont care about grenades, ordnance or equipment.

On digger found temp grave markers with the names of soldiers KIA in DEC of 1944, my uncles was KIA on Dec 20 1944. does this man have my uncles dog tags and temp grave marker? Now you know why I am here to get help from people on this website to give back personnel items of the dead to the next of kin.

I have contacted the Belgian embassy, police in Bastogne, Jpac, dpac, ABMC, 10st ABN, DOA , West point and everyone does not care about getting the presonnel effects back of dead soldiers.

A few months ago I saw the same man whu dug the greave markers dig bones, dog tags, and you name it he has it. He even sold the bloody underwear of PVT Roy Buck KIA 1945 ...how does a person do that?

This man in Belgium is a gravedigger and what should be done about him?

David LaDow
SGT E-5
3/12CAV
11th ACR
3rd ACR
19Delta
Sniper
351st MP Company   

muriellec

08 Mar 2017, 09:38 #2

Beeing a gravedigger in Europe would mean digging in official and supervised military cemeteries...... ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE, EVERYONE KNOWS THAT ...... unless finding the remains of a MIA german or allied soldier in the fields which happens rarely but still happens from time to time.

Also, personal effects are shown in almost all privately or officially held musea, are traded in militaria shows worldwide, including ALL MILITARIA SHOWS IN THE USA and I almost forgot ebay which has hundreds of dog tags available at any time of the year...... even of american soldiers who were killed in action.....

I understand your point but if I follow you, same would also apply to personal belongings of the Civil War, Napoleonic wars..... the list is endless

I'm afraid you are waisting your time...... but I honor the effort.

Haltstalle

09 Mar 2017, 18:25 #3

Your definition of gravedigger does not fit this situation. We are talking about digging graves outside of the cemetaries.

I would say that the Dutch, Americans, English, Belgians and a few others dig daily in the area and find bodies all the time.

Your opinion about shows violates the law concerning the personnel artifacts and relics of dead soldiers.

According to the law in Belgium dog tags are personnel artifacts.

I have said nothing about any other wars...only about Bastogne and the illegal selling of personnel artifacts and items with names on them.

I am not wasting my time as i have seen temp grave markers dug from Dec 19th 1944 and I assume that this man has my great uncles temp grave marker and his dog tags in his possesion that should be returned to our family. I have a large collection of his illegal diggings presenbted to the ABMC and the folks in Hawaii. He is a grave digger and making money off of dead soldiers.

Haltstalle

09 Mar 2017, 18:33 #4

The selling of bloody underwear by this man.

Refusal to give a shelter half back to a family with a name on it.

Artifacts donated to him for a museum that never happened.

Ebay selling of personnel artifacts

USMILITARIAFORUM selling of personnel artifacts

Recently he is now selling dead german artifacts

He started honorably but saw the money of selling everything he could get his hands on.

He even sells fake helmets now.

He asks for pictures from Vets and then blows them up and sells them as his own.

Naw I dont like him digging up my ancestor or his comrades that died for people over there who are now digging them up.

He also digs aircraft crashes around bastogne and has sold those articles to.

Haltstalle

09 Mar 2017, 18:36 #5

I will pay him a visit when i am in Bastogne this summer I swear on my great uncles grave buried in Luxembourg I will meet him.

Haltstalle

09 Mar 2017, 18:52 #6

You guys know him why dont one of you ask for my uncles dog tags and temp grave marker? You want to honor the 506th? Ask him to give personnel artifacts back to the next of kin as Belgian law states. I can contact the 101st ABN DIV ASSOC to act as a clearing house.

Want a legacy? Want Americans to honor you? Have a day at Bastogne where people come from far and wide to give back items of the dead ...load them in caskets and fly them to KY...now that would be awesome.

KlondikeFox

12 Mar 2017, 08:13 #7

Hello David-I am acquainted with the digger in-question but I want to state that there is a big difference between digging IN a designated cemetery or even in the grounds of a former cemetery, and digging at various battlefield locations or in trash pits.  Mr Godeau has discovered isolated human remains while digging randomly in areas which are nowhere near any cemetery and has turned those remains over to the correct authorities, so the relatives can be notified and a proper burial can finally take place.  He was not looking for nor expecting to find those remains, but a lot of good came out of those chance discoveries, including closure for families who now know for sure that their loved one is not missing, but confirmed dead.  
The temporary grave markers and dog tags  which Mr Godeau has been finding recently, were dredged out of trash pits and they would still be buried there and their existence not even known, if not for his efforts.   I hope you will consider these facts before condemning what he does.  I have done metal detecting and digging on battlefields in France and Belgium but not for the purpose of finding human remains. Finding such things on any battlefield is always a possibility, but if it ever does happen, it will be an unintended accident, and proper authorities will be notified.  

PierreG

12 Mar 2017, 21:39 #8

Thank you Mr. Bando..... let me just add that in 30 years of searching and collecting Bastogne relics, I never found anything related to the officer JEROME C. KNIGHT in question. A polite and simple question from the original poster on this matter would have saved a lot of trouble and questioning to all of us. Yes indeed the mortal remains of the german corporal I found in the middle of the woods near Foy in 1988 were handed to the german authorities and he now has a decent resting place, same applies to the still unidentified german soldier of the 12th SS Div . HJ, which remains we found on famed 3rd of January attack spot against the 2nd Bn 501. I never found any mortal remains of a single american soldier in 30 years, I regret it, since there are still MIA's in the Bastogne area ( Marvie, Jack's Woods etc... ) .... and i would have reported them even faster. I will gladly meet the original poster when he'll be at Bastogne this summer, nothing to hide. I have a lot to learn from him, so does he have from me..... too bad he started the conversation with a very controversial facebook page with..... pardon me, some photos that are not even mine and too fast and easy allegations. You're welcome David and I look forward to meeting you.... 
Last edited by PierreG on 12 Mar 2017, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Your Signature ...

Haltstalle

13 Mar 2017, 11:59 #9

Those pictures came off of your facebook site

Haltstalle

13 Mar 2017, 12:01 #10

This is the first time you have engaged me in conversation.....yoiu did not allow me to talk with you on your facebook page